Lynn is the Editor at Teacher Toolkit. With 20 years of primary teaching and SLT experience, she has been an Assistant Head, Lead Mentor for ITT and SENCO. She loves to write and also has her own SEMH and staff mental health blog: www.positiveyoungmind.com. Lynn…
Read more about Lynn How
How can a senior leader support their health, fitness and wellbeing, whilst balancing their workload this year?
I recently took part in a body and mind weekend for school leaders, organised by HeadsUp4HTs and based in The Brecon Beacons.
Network with other school leaders
The weather was fantastic, the program for the weekend was busy but balanced, and there was no shortage of good humour and company – with excellent organisation and hospitality from Kate and Paul! Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience which took me out of my comfort zone at just the right level.
I also could network with colleagues in other schools and reflect on how I would put all my new ideas for health and wellbeing into practice once I returned home. The quick and easy food ideas were particularly useful.
These Bootcamp-style events are run twice a year.
I recommend them to anyone wishing to make a positive work/life balance change but isn’t sure where to start, or anyone who wants to network with like-minded people and take some time out! Sometimes it’s great to take yourself out of your locality to provide the headspace needed for reflection and planning.
A unique weekend experience
If this sounds like something you would enjoy, here are some more details about the events.
BootCampEd aims to help you relearn how to put your mind and body first, despite the challenges and demands of school leadership. This is a unique weekend experience open to headteachers and school leaders who desire to focus on their wellbeing and recognise the importance of sustaining a healthy body; to lead to the best of your abilities and to support your team and community.
To do so, you need to start with yourself.
The weekend is a personal, educational and fitness adventure for all fitness abilities. They aim to improve self-confidence, tenacious leadership and individual awareness, physically and mentally, through a weekend of activities, discussions and great company in the great outdoors!
The next event is this March 2023. Mention ‘TeacherToolkit’ when booking to secure a discounted price.
A well earned break. Beautiful weather. A challenge at times!
This is an opportunity to spend a weekend focusing on yourself; to reconnect with your purpose as a school leader. Over the weekend, as a group, we will participate in activities, including:
- Physical Health
- Group PT sessions
- Team building
- Hiking and walking
- Nutrition support & advice for busy leaders
- Healthy & nutritional eating
For mental health, the weekend develops:
- Peer coaching
- #Hopes4Ed – aspirational thinking & discussion around educational themes
- Leadership & personal awareness
- Explore your core purpose – your Ikigai
- Strategies to cope with challenges
- Connection & wellbeing focus
Further leadership resources
HeadsUp4HTs also provides other services for school leaders with:
- Leadership inspiration, advice and training that focus on the emotional intelligences of HTs and the tools to put this into practice within your organisations.
- The opportunity to share our authentic stories in a safe space, anonymously or otherwise, so that we and the system can learn from them.
- The time and space to think about a future model of education through regular themed events.
- A supportive network of like-minded, values-led leaders who can share their successes and vulnerabilities without judgement or accountability through access to weekly HeadsUp supportive coffee and drinks sessions.
- Someone to talk to at times of crisis – free coaching and advice.
Senior leader wellbeing should be a top priority. For further information, visit HeadsUp4HTs!
Leave a Reply